Aquarist / Environmental Educator
The Wetlands Institute is currently accepting applications for the year round, part-time position of Aquarist / Environmental Educator. Applicant must be enthusiastic and have strong personal feelings about conserving and protecting the environment, ecological research, and environmental education.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Creating and maintaining saltwater aquarium habitat and educational displays for reptiles, fish and invertebrates that are appropriate for study and viewing by students and visitors.
- Performing husbandry activities involving saltwater fish, reptiles and marine invertebrates.
- Performing maintenance activities involving aquarium life support systems.
- Conducting water quality monitoring activities.
- Using different methods to collect a wide variety of invertebrates and fish stock including those kept live on display, those held in reserve and all animals collected and stored for food.
- Preparing and maintaining digital records of all aquarium activities.
- Providing training and supervision of volunteers assigned to work in the aquarium.
- Assisting as needed with education programs including, but not limited to, on-site and off-site school programs, year-round public programs, community outreach events, and special events.
- Acting as Manager on Duty (MOD) responsible for public programming, site safety and building open/closing procedures.
- It is expected that this position will work no more than 24 hours per week.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- Sufficient education and training to demonstrate an ability or aptitude to perform the above and related duties. A bachelor degree in biology, marine biology, zoology, aquaculture, environmental science and/or related field. May substitute 4 years of experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal and presentation skills. Previous experience with public speaking and/or teaching experience to a variety of groups of all sizes and age levels is preferred.
- Experience and comfort in the management of aquarium systems and displays, animal care particularly focused on fish, reptiles and marine invertebrates.
- Proficiency with computer systems and software including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks with effective time management and organizational skills.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to work outdoors on a boat on the Inter-coastal Waterway, Delaware Bay, and Atlantic Ocean in all weather conditions, including sun, rain, and wind.
- Frequent physical activities including lifting, pushing and pulling items up to 50 pounds; reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, climbing, crouching and prolonged periods of sitting.
- Ability to work a shifted work week schedule that includes weekends and some evenings.
- Final candidate will be subject to a background check. All such testing will be conducted in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
This information is not designed to be a complete inventory of the job duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Rather, it is designed to give the general nature and level of work to be performed by an employee assigned to this job title.
The Wetlands Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, genetic information or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants be given equal opportunity and that selection decisions are based on job-related factors.
To apply, please send cover letter, resume and references to Brooke Knapick, Director of Educational Program Development, The Wetlands Institute, 1075 Stone Harbor Boulevard, Stone Harbor, New Jersey 08247 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Electronic submission is strongly preferred.
Application deadline is August 10, 2018.