Protecting our local environment is most effective when it is a community-wide effort. Thank you to everyone who is doing their part!
- Terrapins are wild animals; please leave them in their wild homes.
- If you find an injured terrapin, call The Wetlands Institute at 609-368-1211 with any questions.
There’s a hatchling terrapin!
- Unless the terrapin is in a life-threatening situation, please leave it alone.
- If it is in danger: Take the terrapin to the nearest salt marsh. Release it underneath the fallen grasses along the marsh—not in the water.
There’s a terrapin on the road!
- Wait for the terrapin to cross, or carefully help her cross in the direction she is going. She may have eggs, so be gentle!
- If the terrapin is injured, gently place her in a box and call us.
There’s a terrapin nesting in my yard!
- Quietly observe her from afar. She is easily frightened!
- Leave the nest site undisturbed.